When I moved to Bangalore, one of the first things that I was inquiring with the tenant, whom I was replacing was about the Cable TV options. I was thinking of going with popular DTH services like Airtel, Tata Sky. The leaving tenant clarified that Hathway Cable service is the best option among the lot which offers many channels at a lesser price. I took the decision to try it and since then it has been more than 2 years that I’ve been a loyal customer of Hathway Cable service.
– Amazing variety of collection of channels for Rs 250 ! From News to Cartoons to Discovery to Movies to Sports…I would say Hathway is the best bet for such a less price. Earlier the price used to be Rs 200 only. Being a south indian family and having parents at home, Hathway covers almost all of our requirements. It provides most of the popular Telugu channels in Bangalore and we couldn’t ask for more. In short, Hathway is providing the traditional analog cable kind of service in digital form at almost the same price.
Because of the challenging pricing structure, it seems to be becoming really challenging to offer so many pay channels. So recently Hathway has been juggling with the channels. Remember the famous STAR network channels issue where STAR Sports featured ads saying that they are not responsible for Hathway blocking their channels due to negotiation issues. One recent change, they’ve stopped ZEE channels and started airing STAR sports to meet the demands of cricket fans !
– Easy installation: Except for the set-top box, didn’t have to go through the hassle of buying the dish equipment like antenna that’s usually required for DTH service. Even though we shifted house later with in Bangalore, we could reuse the set-top box and get the new connection without technical glitches.
– Although service interruptions happen once in a while but I could see that recovery time is quite good and even during heavy rains also there was better service when compared to other DTH services.
– With the current package of Rs 250/- the user doesn’t have any choice to choose channels. The onus is left to the Hathway provider on what channels can be included/excluded. Obviously, although they go with the best choice, it may not suit well with all of its subscribers.
– Cable operators: It’s a bit frustrating to deal with the local Hathway cable operators. As long as your service is running you would be fine, but if you need their help, it takes time to get your issue resolved. It happened with me about submission of my address proof details. My service was interrupted and had to follow-up, chase the local operator for the resolution.
Also, in the new location, I had to chase the local operator to get the installation done.
– I’ve heard from my friends that in this High Definition era, picture quality matters a lot and they believe that Airtel DTH, Tata Sky are much better than Hathway for ultimate resolution. As we are still using Sony WEGA CRT TV, we don’t see this as an issue and are quite comfortable with Hathway’s picture quality and never felt it to be a problem.
On the whole, it has been a good experience with Hathway Cable. Most of the channels that we usually look for are available in their coverage. If you are not very fancy about HD kind of options, Hathway would be a very good way to procure DTH services. Recommend it !