I was born in CMC Hospital Vellore. My parents were born here…My grandfather was a diabetic patient for over 40 years taking treatment from here…My dad takes treatment here every two months…I sister delivered here…I can keep on adding….Let me share my experiences and review about the CMC Hospital in Vellore, India.
What is CMC Hospital in Vellore ?
CMC means Christian Medical College. It is a hospital that was founded as a missionary hospital by Aunt Ida almost a century ago and it has a medical college tied to it. Most of the doctors that graduate from the medical college, serve here for less salary with a service motto, rather than money.
What are the amazing things about CMC Hospital in Vellore ?
First and foremost, it is a missionary hospital without intention to make greedy profits like the corporate hospitals all over the country.
- The doctors at CMC Hospital are the top-tier doctors in the country. They are handpicked, educated and groomed to be great doctors. Only 100 students are given the opportunity to study MBBS in a year from all over the country, you can imagine, how much competition exists to get admission.
- CMC Hospital has the most amazing medical equipment in the world. They are a premier research institute as well.
- The treatment here is not based on getting results fast, they are based on giving the right treatment. If you go to a corporate hospital or fancy place, they will give you high dosage and get your fever or any ailment addressed quickly so that you go there more often…but, CMCH is different, they will NOT give you high dosage, unless required. They believe in giving the right treatment rather than trying to give more dosage and hurt your body in the long run. My dad was on bed for 9 months after accident, they gave the slowest treatment, but he can drive and no problems whatsoever with regards to his leg…on the other hand, my dads friend with similar accident, went to another hospital, he had many problems and eventually, he had to come to CMC to re-do the surgery from scratch…All I am trying to say is that your treatment is not done to make more money or impress you, it is for your good.
- The doctors, nurses and everyone speak multiple languages, it is very easy for anyone to get treatment ..English, Hindi, Tamil, Kannada, Telugu, Marathi, Bengali are very commonly spoken .
- The Hospital is located in a good area, the campus is well built with many facilities and all are connected.
- They have separate blocks for each department. Also, they have some private care facilities for someone, who wants premium care…
- They have treatment for literally everything that you can think of from fever to Cancer…
- CMCH has an Out Patient block as well, where you can book appointments and get your treatment done during day like regular medical checkup.
What can be improved at CMC Hospital Vellore ?
- The out patient (OPD) section for booking appointments is really getting hard. My parents have to go one day to book appointment, another day for tests and another day for actual treatment…I think some way should be given for online appointment booking.
- With the demand and good treatment, too many people are coming to the hospital and it is getting crowded everyday…something has to be done to handle the crowd and load.
- I feel that the systems can be made a little better…the OPD block is crowded and it just drives anyone crazy…many of the people, just do NOT want to come to CMC just because of the wait times.
- The space is limited, but something has to be done to handle the traffic and parking…maybe an underground option for parking and avoiding all the building space constraints…
Overall, I think, it is the best hospital in India that I have visisted. I have seen many of my family members and many of my friends get amazing treatment with affordable price. It is the best hospital out there…You should go there, if you have not and check it out.
What are your thoughts after visiting CMCH ?